Mumbles In Swansea; a headland of coastal mountains so high dropping down into Swansea Bay. This cape is of considerable size. Distinct by nature with high breaking waves, rocky shores, intense erosion, and steep rocky cliffs.
Mumbles is known for its unusual name. The mounts of the islands were thought by some to have been named by French. From the ship before reaching the coast, the French sailors named Mumbles; seeing the perfect shape of a women’s breast.
The word ‘Mumbles’ may be in French; ‘les mamelles,’ meaning ‘the breasts’. Another possible source of the name is from the word Mum old English for breast in reference to a “breast-like hill” or from mamma (“mother”, in reference to a local river goddess).
The Mumbles Lighthouse was built during the 1790s, and was converted to solar powered operation in 1995.
The nearby pier was opened in 1898 at the terminus of the Swansea and Mumbles Railway, which in its time was one of the oldest passenger railways in the world.
The railway closed in 1960.
A lifeboat station has operated from Mumbles since 1866.